The mission of the certification program is to promote professionalism within the electrical inspector field-of-practice through a widely accepted, respected and professionally sound certification. Two certifications are offered: Residential and Master.
Certification by one of the most recognized international organizations in the electrical inspector industry. Examination content is job related, and is provided by practicing electrical inspectors. Re-certification ensures that you maintain your currency and relevancy in the profession.
Who is eligible?
Candidates for certification must have the following levels of education and/or experience. Note: It is recommended that the applicant be already employed as an electrical inspector in order to complete the Practicum Phase.
Certified Electrical Inspector Residential
- High school or GED
- Completion of Registered Electrical Apprenticeship Training Program, or
- Associate Degree in Electrical Construction Technology (or equivalent), or
- Journeyman Electrician (or equivalent) or Master Electrician, or
- BS in Electrical Engineering or PE in Electrical Engineering, or
- 4,000 hours as an electrician, or
- 2,000 hours as an electrical inspector
Certified Electrical Inspector Master
Eligibility requirements are the same as the Residential program with the exception of:
- 8,000 hours as an electrician, or
- 4,000 hours as an electrical inspector
It is possible for you to be considered for acceptance as a transfer from other recognized electrical inspector certification programs. For a transfer application, download the Applicant Handbook.
Other Certification Forms
Meet Your CEU Requirements
You can meet your CEU requirements through the many education seminars hosted by the IAEI sections, chapters, and divisions - visit the IAEI Calendar or your local chapter or division web page (find a chapter). If you can't make it in person, earn some CEU credits with IAEI online training.
To study for the examination, we recommend the following materials for the Master and Residential Examination. These can be found in our IAEI Shop, with member discounts.
- IAEI Study Guides, NEC®-2017 editions - Link
- NFPA 70 National Electrical Code®, 2017 Edition - Link